Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Helicocranchia pfefferi

Piglet Squid, Helicocranchia pfefferi. (Wonder if he gets piglet squid flu?)

This funny looking squid is about the size of a small avocado and can be found most commonly in the deepwater (greater than 100 m or 320 ft) of virtually all oceans. Its habit of filling up with water and the funny location of its siphone with a wild-looking 'tuft' of eight arms and two tentacles had prompted scientists to name it the piglet squid. (I tried to set a link to a definition for siphone.... I don't think it's a word, not found on dictionary.com or wikipedia.org. I think they meant siphon. Here is a link for where I got the text above.)

I'm not sure why some pictures show the little guy brown and some show him clear, monkaaay thinks he's clear really. Like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers